Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Adoption Application

As I mentioned, we just sent in the paperwork for our application to adopt.

We checked into international adoption, but ran into several road blocks. 

First of all, I am affected by the Hay Wells syndrome of  Ectodermal Dysplasia.  What does that have to do with adoption?  Well, apparently, it disqualifies us from adopting from several countries according to at least two agencies. 

Secondly, I have no finger prints.  As a result of the Hay Wells syndrome, I do not have the distinguishable ridges on my finger tips that make up prints.  I have some scar prints, but nothing really remarkable.   It took me almost 6 months to get my RN license in Missouri, because of the lack of fingerprints.  I had to go get "printed" three times.  Each time, I listed the syndrome on the paperwork and explained why I don't have fingerprints to the official who did the printing.  When they called to tell me that I needed to get "printed" a fourth time, due to "poor quality of prints," I nearly screamed!  Again, I explained that they could scan my fingertips fifty times and would NEVER get a "quality" print.  In fact, because my scars on my hands occasionally break open, chances are, the scar prints would not even be the same each time.  I even offered a buccal swab or retinal scan.  LOL.  So, after 6 months, 3 sets of prints, and countless calls, the board of nursing pushed through a federal background check.  Again, what does that have to do with adoption? Well, fingerprinting is part of the international adoption process.  It is required for INS (immigration) for both parents to be printed.  While I'm certain we could eventually get them to understand that it is not an option, we would like to have our second child before we reach senility! 

After much prayer and consideration, we decided to apply for the domestic infant program. 

I literally spent all day Tuesday working on the application.  The application requires a current family photo.  Would you believe that after scouring through my digi-files, I could not come up with a decent recent picture of the three of us for the application? 

Can I just say that God is good?

It just so happens that our church, Northwest Foursquare Church is in the middle of doing a pictorial directory.  Wells Family Photography is doing the photos for the directory, and fortunately for us, Larry and Belinda happen to be friends.  So, I sent a frantic plea to Belinda via e-mail, and she sent me the unedited picture that they took for the directory.  Here it is:

FamilyPic0708

We look like a nice family, right?  Zane looks like the happiest baby in the world!  What a grin! 

So, would you like to do me a favor? 

As you look at the picture of our family, please pray that the Lord would touch our future child's birth mother and grant her health and wisdom.  Pray that He will grant us favor and that in His time, He would direct the right woman to choose us to raise her child.  Pray that the Lord would open the doors that need to be opened, close the ones that need to be closed, and help us to keep our hands off the door knobs. 

Thanks!

Be blessed,

Lady V

No comments: